Matt's Rise of the Rune Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jack's Spells for Level 6 (and 7)

3 posters

Go down

Jack's Spells for Level 6 (and 7) Empty Jack's Spells for Level 6 (and 7)

Post  Jack Napier Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:46 pm

So at Level 6 I will be taking my 4th Sorcerer level. This means new spells, and I wonder what you guys think I should take? How would you like Jack to contribute more in battle? Or is there a utility spell you think we're sorely lacking?

0 Level Spells (Cantrips) - Gotta choose one.

Acid Splash - 1d3 Acid for one round. Can be used for sneak attack... no DR/SR. Probably not that useful outside of combat. Unless it could be ruled that acid can melt away metals for sabotaging things? The joker style "acid flower" on the lapel is kinda cool.

Disrupt Undead - 1d6 against undead, can be used for sneak attack.

Detect Poison - detect poison in one creature or small object? (trapped chest?)

something else?
-=-=-=
Level 1 - I get to swap out one spell and gain one as a favored class bonus.

Swapping out - Color Spray

Considering:

Charm Person - Can be useful both in combat and outside combat. Seriously considering this one.

Shield +4ac for 1min/level, stacks with Mage Armor and blocks Magic Missiles.

Ray of Enfeeblement- STR damage and sneak attackable (sneak attack damage as negative energy damage, not extra str drain)

Magic Missile (more powerful than my wand and can be used to charge my wand)

Shocking Grasp (again, more powerful than my wand and can be used to charge my wand) I'd be dealing 5d6 on a touch attack with this, combined with sneak attack that's 6d6 electricity damage.

Any other ideas/requests? I'll have the option of 1 or 2 more level one spells at level 7 as well.

Level 2 - Get my first level 2 spell

Taking: Scorching Ray ranged touch 4d6 fire, sneak attackable (yes!) get multiple rays: 2nd at 7th Caster level (next!) and 3rd at 11th Caster level. Decent damage until all monsters have fire/magic resistance.

I will get two more level 2 spells at level 7: Invisibility (Arcane Bloodline bonus spell) and one more. Thinking Mirror Image (don't get hit), Alter Self (minor stat boosts to dex or str, darkvision, scent, swim speed) , or Levitate (again, don't get hit, and would swap out after getting fly) Thoughts?

-=-=-

Jack's coming into his Arcane Trickster class more and more, it's too bad I won't be able to play him beyond level 6 for a while. Razz

Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Jack's Spells for Level 6 (and 7) Empty Re: Jack's Spells for Level 6 (and 7)

Post  Inquisitor Draznel Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:05 am

On the 0 level spell you wouldn't need Detect poison as Draznel already has this spell...so two in the party wouldn't need it. I think the shocking grasp is a good idea as you seem to use that wand a lot. the level two.....I don't have too many idea's about.

Well that is my thoughts
Inquisitor Draznel
Inquisitor Draznel

Back to top Go down

Post  Winter Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:38 pm

if you're going to melee shield is pretty indispensable, you need the ac
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Inquisitor Draznel Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:57 pm

hey, scott, can you send me that sheet that I saw last sunday. The first sheet that you have in that little folder of yours. It looked really useful
Inquisitor Draznel
Inquisitor Draznel

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Napier Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Good to know you have that spell, Colin. This is a big part of why I ask for advice in spell chosing, so that spells (especially utility spells) are covered and we cover all bases together.

There was also an interesting D&D3.5 cantrip called "Silent Portal" which allowed you to silently open a window or door. Good for sneaky types, but since it wasn't put into Pathfinder I'd have to get special permission.

From a character standpoint, I really like the possibility of maybe taking someone out of a fight before it even starts. It's really fun to tell the bad guys what to do. Also, for those unhelpful NPCs that need a bit more than diplomacy to come around... So I really think Charm Person will be one of my spells at this level.

Shield is good, and perhaps a better known spell than Mage Armor thanks to their duration (Mage Armor is 1 hour at CL1 which is plenty, Shield is 1 min/level) Stacking them with my good dex and ring of protection +1 means Jack would have an AC of 22. Pretty good for a squishy magic user with 44 hit points.

I just wonder about versatility because now that I can turn invisible at key moments (see what I did there?) I should be getting hit less. Level 2 spells like levitate (be out of reach) or mirror image (1d4+2 clones to maybe hit instead of me) boost up the defenses a lot too.

I've been going into Melee because sneak attacking with the wand has been stylish and the best way to do deal direct damage (2d6 + 1d6 electricity touch) but now that I will have Scorching Ray, I'll have a option to hang back and burn up the bad guys at range for more damage (4d6 + 1d6 fire damage ranged touch, at level 7 4d6 + 1d6 +4d6 fire damage.)

Shield does look promising because getting hit really really sucks. So it really comes down to chosing what to focus on at level 6: offence or defence. Scorching Ray provides the best offensive boost. So balancing it with shield is not a bad idea.

At level 7 I could choose one of the others at level 1, and another level 2 spell along with my free invisibility spell.

This is kind of a two part plan, assuming we even see level 7 before going on indefinite break.
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Napier Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Sure I can send you the repetoire sheet, Colin.

I actually spent a bit of time modifying and typing some things on it last night to make it cleaner and more useful.

Send me a message on Facebook with your e-mail address. Your phone number, too. If you would.
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down