Matt's Rise of the Rune Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recruiting new players

3 posters

Go down

Recruiting new players Empty Recruiting new players

Post  Winter Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:14 pm

I went ahead and made a post on Kaohsiung Living:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KaohsiungLiving_com/message/35394

I think we could use 1-2 more solid players?

I'll put up copies of email responses here
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Recruiting new players Empty Sean

Post  Winter Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi Andy,

My name is Sean. I have been playing D&D for over 15 years, and currently DM the play the Pathfinder game and own the core book plus guide to golarion and ultimate magic (as well as most other stuff on PDF).
I currently run the second darkness campaign but it's stalling bgecause of others time constraints.
I would be interested in playing with your group if you would give me the opportunity. Being a DM myself I know how it feels when people can't keep to their schedule so I will hopefully not do the same.
I'd be interested in playing whatever you have need of and if it's all good I can come up with my own.
I have herolab and d20pro which also helps and you and your group are welcome to use them if u wish.
Let me know if u are interested and we can meet and see how it works out!

Cheers,

Sean
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Recruiting new players Empty Re: Recruiting new players

Post  Jack Napier Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:41 am

That must be Sean Cooper? I've met that guy a few times, briefly. I don't know much about him, nor can I vouch for his character... but I know he's very much into games/gaming, as he mentioned in his response to your ad. He would likely put effort into his character.

Since he was part of another game (think it was running for a while) he would probably have contacts for other people who play if we wanted somebody else as well.
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Winter Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:32 am

if Matt is cool with it I'll get him to roll up a character and show up this Sunday, assuming we are playing?
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Napier Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:41 am

We could also have him do a trial-run playing our NPC paladin? See if we like his style before he invests a lot of time into a character? Also adding an extra character might fuck up what Matt has planned all ready.

Up to Matt, really... Matt?
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Winter Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:30 am

Maybe have him finish burnt offerings as Ulric then have him step aside if all goes well? I don't actually know how close we are to finishing it.
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Winter Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:55 am

It's almost 5am and I'm drinking Pina Coladas, don't work until 4:30PM, jetlag could be worse.

That is indeed Sean Cooper and he is keen on playing a paladin for now but was tossing around the idea of playing a Ninja (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/ninja). That would be pretty interesting, if we dropped Ulric we would be down a heavy tank and partial healer but on the upside we would be pretty well set up to operate as a totally stealthy party.

If we could coordinate tactics to execute 1-2 round focus fire/crowd control ambushes or skirmish (stealth, pop out and strike, get under cover and restealth, rinse, repeat) we might be able to get by without someone filling Ulric's role. Plus, that sounds like a lot of fun.

I'll call Matt and bug him about this if he doesn't post tomorrow!
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Napier Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:40 pm

A ninja, eh? Reading through the description on the site, it's pretty much another rogue character with a bit of monk thrown in for flavour. Thus bringing to the party, essentially, a second multi-classed (though less penalized) rogue.

Tactically it would be interesting, as another character could be benefitting from some of my spells for sneak attacks... but we'd be heavily reliant on surprise almost all the time. Furthermore, to lose out on a tank, a character who can stand infront of us less meaty characters, taking 90% of the aggro? That's a big loss because the Ranger can't fill that role with his low AC.

Matt has been pushing for someone to be a "holy" warrior (cleric/paladin) because he's read the campaign and knows that the party can really use someone with strengths against evil characters (smite, turn undead, etc)

Seeing as we all ready have a "rogue" character in the party I don't know if a ninja is the best way to substitute. I'd rather be protected from nasty things than "paper scissor stone"ing (is that a verb?) to see who disables a trap or unlocks a door.

My two cp.
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Winter Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Sean should be here Sunday, he can play Ulric for now and we'll go from there.
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Napier Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:23 pm

So you've spoken with Matt?
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Winter Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:21 am

yeah I called him, he said a new player would be good. I think Sunday at 3pm still.

Sean says he's actually keen on playing a Paladin so maybe we can just make Ulric a PC, or sub a new paladin for him, we'll see.
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Napier Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:18 pm

We should get Ulric's character sheet to him early so he can familiarize himself with the feats and abilities chosen. Matt can export the pcgen file to PDF so it shouldn't be a problem for him to read it/print it off.
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Winter Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:12 pm

I linked Sean to this forum and told him to register, so Matt could post it here (use the "host an image" function?) or his email is seancoopa@yahoo.ca

if not, he's pretty experienced so I think we could run it down for him in only a few minutes.

Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Recruiting new players Empty Hey

Post  Magnus Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:30 am

Hi guys,

I just wanted to introduce myself before meeting ya'll this Sunday.
My name's Sean, been in KH almost ten years, and have been gaming since my early 20s (now 35).

I teach English (of course) but have been involved with various things around town from being an editor of a magazine to event promoting, charity organizing, improv/comedy sketch performing/producing (coming soon... again) and various other things which mask my inner nerd from common folk (it doesn't work).
I'm from Vancouver B.C. and my background is in graphic art, specifically computer animation.

I started with AD&D 2nd Edition (Forgotten Realms, ma favorite) and from there moved on naturally to 3 and 3.5. When Pathfinder came out (and a ton of talented writers jumped ship to Paizo) I loved what I saw. It's not perfect, but it's damn good IMO.
When 4th Ed. came out I took a look and discussed it at length with my LGS I decided that if the guy trying to make money off of selling sth tells me its crap, I should probably steer clear.
I've also played a little Shadowrun, Vampire the Masquerade (yes, even tried the live one for a month before things got weird), Turtles: After the Bomb and some friend's own proprietary systems. I used to work at The Games People downtown Vancouver and got the gist of many other systems from there.
Needless to say, I love games and I love both role-playing AND roll-slayin' (yes, I just said that).

Most of my characters have had some sort of spell-casting ability, the most memorable being an AD&D 2nd ed. elven fighter/wild mage named Agrabar the Random. His quote was "Always go left".
I am the kind of player that builds a character with crunch in mind, but revels in playing their personality to the hilt. I enjoy quirky/flawed characters, and like to utilize their alignment, personality traits and even ability scores into my role-playing.

I am currently DMing a 3.5 and Pathfinder campaign, with players here and overseas.

My 3.5 campaign is one I walked into and due to the DM's time constrains (ie. new baby) I offered and have since been running for over a year. The characters are all around 13th level now and we're nearing the end of the super adventure they started (Ruins of Greyhawk).
My Pathfinder campaign is 2nd Darkness and is currently 3/4 through the 2nd adventure, with the characters at 4th level.
Both of these games are done on a Friday evening, are periodic at best, with time between sessions anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 months.

I am looking forward to meeting you all this Sunday and diving into your campaign as a player (SWEET!) though I know that not all new players click with the group sometimes and I leave my expectations at the door. I like a group that listens to each other and builds on each others strengths and weaknesses, but also knows how to have fun and just enjoy the game and the opportunity to socialize.

See you on Sunday,

Sean
Magnus
Magnus

Back to top Go down

Post  Magnus Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:37 am

"DamianCrowley" - We should get Ulric's character sheet to him early so he can familiarize himself with the feats and abilities chosen. Matt can export the pcgen file to PDF so it shouldn't be a problem for him to read it/print it off.
That'd help a lot, thanks.

I mentioned to Andy that I was thinking about trying a Ninja, but I've been meaning to try a Paladin again for awhile now and it seems serendipity has answered.
Also, if I do end up joining your campaign, I'd like you to consider letting me roll up my own stats (in front of you of course) and choose my own skill points/feats for Ulric.
Whatever you decide is fine, just putting it out there.

Cheers
Magnus
Magnus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Napier Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:08 am

Ulric is Matt's baby, so whatever changes are really up to him. We used a buy-in method for our characters, I think it was 28 or 29 points buy-in (too lazy to load up PCGen to check) with rolling only required for HP.

Ulric has been a pretty useful Tank, and tough guy for the party. Damian (or Jack as the party knows him) sees him as the new hire or FNG (Friendly New Guy) and jokes about his starting cut being smaller than the rest (it isn't). Ulric is hired muscle to stand in front and back up his words. Kind of a Bobby Deniro to my fragile/skinny/mouthy character's Joe Pesci. The party is still a rather loosely associated group of characters thrown together by circumstances. Lots of room to grow.

Matt's done a pretty good job with feats/skills/abilities, but if you mesh well with the group I'm sure he won't mind you changing Ulric up to best suit your flavour, or making an entirely new character when the story allows it, of course.

Matt will hopefully be active on the forums again pretty soon. We have a fair bit to go over before we start playing on Sunday.
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Winter Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:34 pm

cool paladin optimization thread:

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/advice/thallinsGuideToPaladinsOptimization&page=1&source=search#0

looks like Ulric is pretty well suited to be the two-handed swinger at this point
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum