Matt's Rise of the Rune Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damian Crowley: Part 2

Go down

Damian Crowley: Part 2 Empty Damian Crowley: Part 2

Post  Jack Napier Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:22 am

[This story takes place during the night and morning after the party’s adventure in the glassworks of Sandpoint. Level 2 reached!]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Sorcerer Born

Often plagued by nightmares, Damian was enjoying a rare good dream. It was his one of his favourite dreams, actually. He lay atop a mountain of gold and treasure with an impossibly beautiful woman and her impossibly beautiful friends. The ladies swooned and sang songs of his greatness as they all regaled atop the pile of wealth.

Just as one of the ladies raised jewelled chalice full of the world’s finest wine to Damian’s lips, her visage blurred and changed to that of a devil! He pushed back and away, shocked by the grotesque transformation in front of him, sending treasures and coins rolling down the side of the heap which clinked and clanged as they hit the stone floor below.

“Surprised, Damian?” the devil spake. “You shouldn’t be… you can’t escape your past with the Hell Knights, nor can you escape the destiny your father laid out for you.”

“Wh-wh-who are you?” is what Damian would’ve said if he wasn’t so afraid.

“I am Grimluck,” the devil continued. “I keep watch over you from time to time… You haven’t figured it out yet? After all the years, and all the dreams you’ve been having. You never thought that there may be something… different about you?” He paused. “Oh, and do you mind?”

The devil snapped his fingers and made all pleasantries remaining in the dream disappeared in a violent wave, pulled out like a rug from under him. Damian dropped to the floor with a loud thud, and the devil slowly descended changing the shape of his body to something more appropriate. He hovered just above the ground.

“I want your full attention, boy. Listen well. Your father made a deal with me and I am most professional with my contracts. You have a gift. Several gifts, in fact, and as you go on you will be granted more and more. Magic be its name and your abilities will reflect your needs and desires. Do I have your attention now, son?”

Damian nodded, pulling himself up into a chair that wasn’t behind him a moment ago.

“Will I be able to change shape, like you do?” he managed to ask.

“You will be able to do that and a great deal more. Anything your heart desires… with time. Do I need to spell it out for you, kid? Listen. I’ve got several more dreams that I need to appear in before morning. If you’ve anymore questions, just ask your guide.”

“Guide?” Damian questioned, but the devil disappeared in a cloud of smoke and the mountain of treasure once again reformed and raised the ground under his chair. The chair itself was now diamond encrusted and looking more like a throne. The good dream and all of its pleasantries were back. He gestured to the girls to return to him.

“That’s more like it! Now, where were we?” he quipped.

“ANYTHING YOUR HEART DESIRES!!!” The women shrieked as their faces, too, became devilish and fearsome!

Damian's eyes glowed blue as they sprung open. He choked back a scream as he woke up in a sweat, clutching at the straw mattress in his room at the inn. The sun had just begun to rise, but it illuminated the room enough to reveal that things had been thrown about during the night.

He shook the sleep from his head and focused his eyes; dismissing the nightmare and examining his surroundings. Had he been ROBBED?

He heard a rustling sound.

“Who’s there?” he demanded, reaching for his rapier which leaned against the bedpost.

“CAW!” a voice spoke.

“Okay, Ka. Show yourself.”

“I’m up here, funny man.” The voice beckoned.

When Damian looked towards the sound, he saw a raven perched above his chamber door - perched upon a bust of Peilor just above his chamber door - perched, and sat, and nothing more.

“A bird?” Damian asked.

“You’re a bright one,” quoth the raven. “It seems like I have my work cut out for me. I’ve been assigned to you. I’m your guide.”

“My guide?” Damian asked, slowly recalling the events of his dream.

“Put your clothes on, genius. We’ve got a lot of things to discuss before your friends wake up.”

“So, may I call you Ka?” inquired Damian, as he buttoned his trousers.

The raven crowed in a way that may have sounded as if it were amused or annoyed. Damian wasn’t sure; he didn’t speak bird.

There was some pause.

“If silly labels help you to better relate.” Ka finally spoke. “Very well.”
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down